On October 7, 2009 the contest committee's final session took place to discuss the development programs of universities claiming for a category National Research University.
The competitive selection of the above programs was announced on August 1, 2009.
110 universities have presented their development programs aimed at staffing the following priority areas: science, technologies, engineering, industries, social sphere, as well as at the high technology development and its manufacturing applying.
All the development programs have undergone an independent appraisal where each application has been examined by two experts in accordance with the specifically developed methods.
As a result, every applicant has been given an expert report that allows forming the universities final rating.
The Program financing allows universities to purchase laboratory and research equipment, to provide the university staff with further education, to develop academic programs and information resources, to improve the system of education and research quality control.
The winners were defined in accordance with to the criteria approved in the Decree № 550 of the RF Government, dated July 13th, 2009. The category National Research University is awarded by the Government of the Russian Federation for the period of 10 years. According to the assessment results a university might be deprived of the mentioned category.
Goals and objectives
The development program for the State Higher Education Institution Novosibirsk State University for the period of 2009-2018.
The strategic goal of the Program is to form a research-educational system of national and global importance, in the geographical center of Russia, which will be able to provide an advanced specialist training based on science, education and business integration; to efficiently combine fundamental knowledge and its conversion into the new technologies in order to contribute them to the innovative development and national security of Russia in all its aspects.
Priority areas of development:
- PDA-1. Mathematics, fundamental principles of computer sciences and information technologies
- PDA-2. Living systems.
- PDA-3. Power engineering, power saving and resource base.
- PDA-4. New materials.
- PDA-5. Regional development, including historical experience and knowledge economy.
- Educational process development.
- The development of fundamental, applied researches and technologies.
- The development of NRU-NSU innovative infrastructure in cooperation with business.
- The development of human capital assets.
- The improvement of the modern university administration system.
Stages and terms of the Program realization:
Stage I, 2009-2010.
- To form an internal institutional and regulating space to introduce the Program.
- To propose amendments in the NSU Constitution; to approve of the Regulation concerning the NRU-NSU Program realization; to improve the quality of the management system along with the methodological regulations concerning the organization of postgraduate training; to develop research and innovative infrastructure of the University.
- To elaborate the measures realization in Stage II and the steps accomplishments in Stage I.
Stage II, 2011-2013
- To create material, administrative and financing infrastructure required for the achievement of the Program goals.
- To perform a mid-term evaluation of the tasks and results as well as the plan of the measures for Stage III.
- The main expected results are to introduce the score-rating system of students’ knowledge assessment, which allows to cover 100 % of all of them; to formulate regulations for the design and realization of individual educational pathways on the basis of the University Master Training Center.
- To design and launch, in cooperation with our partners from technical universities in France and other countries, new training courses aimed at the postgraduates' competence formation in engineering and technologies; to organize English-speaking training groups.
- To develop a new University structure called the Institute of Cross-Disciplinary Applied Researches (ICDAR).
- To systematize the process of hi-tech companies formation with NSU business interest.
- To integrate a number of secondary education institutions into the University structure in order to expand the range of training areas in compliance with the innovative companies' interests and demands (practice-oriented bachelor studies).
Stage III, 2014-2018.
- To fulfill the tasks and to achieve the Program goals.
- To form a new strategy of the University development.
- To rank the NRU-NSU in the Top-300 of leading world universities.
The financial support of the Program in 2009-2018:
- To purchase training, laboratory and research equipment.
- To provide the teaching staff with further education.
- To create training programs.
- To develop information resources.
- To improve the system of education and research quality control.
- Miscellaneous (can be specified for co-financing agreements and works).
The preliminary assessment of the social and economical efficiency of the Program reveals the expected beneficial results in the spheres listed below:
- the national system of research and development
- the national system of higher professional education
- the national and regional innovative systems and hi-tech production development
- the system of administration and of sociocultural areas of life
- the regional development
- NSU participation in geopolitical task solving
- beneficial effects for NSU.
The competitive selection of the development programs of winner universities claiming for the category National Research University are listed as follows:
- State University – Higher School of Economics;
- Kazan State Technical University named after A.N. Tupolev;
- Moscow Aviation Institute (State Technical University);
- Moscow State Technical University named after N.E. Bauman;
- Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology (State University);
- Nizhny Novgorog State University named after N.I. Lobachevsky
- Novosibirsk State University;
- Perm State Technical University;
- Samara State Aerospace University named after academician S.P.Korolyov ;
- Saint-Petersburg State Mining Institute named after G.V. Plekhanov;
- Saint-Petersburg National Research University of Information Technologies, Mechanics and Optics;
- Tomsk Polytechnic University.